Fleet Services

To be able to use a Fleet Services vehicle, you must be an Authorized Driver approved by your agency. In order for this to happen an Authorized Driver Designation (ADD) form must be completed and signed by an authorized supervisor. This form is then sent into Fleet Services and will be entered in our database in 5 - 7 business days.

Fleet Services has an interactive on-line reservation system. To log into the portal you will need to enter your 6 digit Employee ID (this can be found on your Pay Advice) and your 6-digit Department ID (this is your DDS billing code - no dashes). For your convenience, there is a link to a tutorial that should answer any questions you have with the process.

Only reservations scheduled via the online portal will be eligible for the 20% “preferred scheduling method” discount, so agencies are expecting their employees to use this system. If you experience any difficulties or have any questions, feel free to call Fleet Services at 302 739 2277, or email us.

If you have trouble using the calendar ... please note:

Unfortunately, the calendar issue is something that we cannot correct on our end. The IT department has informed us that it is an issue relating to the “resolution” setting on certain employees computers. You will need notify your IT department of the problem, and they can easily correct it for you. (you must click on TIME FIRST before you click on a date ... if not will do Time Now...)

All vehicle keys are attached to a green key pouch. In this key pouch is a fuel access card. You must use this card at an approved fuel access site. When you signed up to be an authorized driver a Pin number was assigned to you. You use this number when you are getting fuel. This Pin number is for your use only, and for confidentiality, it can only be given to the assigned driver.

If you forget your pin number call Fleet Services (302) 739-2277. You will need your driver license number for identification.

Yes, up to twelve days in a calendar year with permission from your supervisor, who should document the use in the event a citizen's complaint is received by Fleet Services. Any use beyond twelve days requires written approval from the Director of the Office of Management and Budget and will be taxed as an “employer provided benefit” under Federal IRS statutes.

Employees of all State agencies must register with Fleet Services via an Authorized Driver Designation form to be in congruence with a joint policy VO-17 Motor Vehicle Record Policy, issued by the Insurance Coverage Office and Fleet Services. This policy ensures all drivers are properly licensed to operate a vehicle per Delaware statutes Title 21 §2754 and §2755. Registering also permits the weekly check with DMV to ensure the drivers' licenses remain in force will using State-owned vehicles.

No. Per the Governor's Performance Review decisions, only three State agencies may own vehicles, Fleet Services, the State Police and the Department of Transportation. The State will however want to use the grant or funds provided but the purchased vehicle will be titled to Fleet Services and the agency charged the monthly operating portion of a standard rental rate. This procedure will eventually result in all State-owned vehicles being owned by one of the three agencies listed above. By Delaware statute vehicles owned by school districts and certain law enforcement agencies are exempt.

All vehicles in excess of an agency's need must be sent to Surplus Services who will then offer the vehicle for additional service or arrange for disposal. Agencies seeking to add or replace vehicles must have prior approval of the Fleet Administrator who will then authorize any payments involved in FSF.

This question is comparable to asking to exceed the speed limit up to the point of the system limit. Delaware road use laws and Fleet Policy and Procedures require all State drivers to obey the speed limit. State drivers should be setting an example of safe driving not helping “set the pace” on all Delaware highways.

By Delaware statute, State vehicles are for use when conducting official State business only. However there is some allowable, but limited use defined as “de minimus”. For example a driver leaves a Dover office to travel to a Wilmington meeting. The driver may stop for coffee as long as the stop is directly between the two locations. In this same example the driver could also use the vehicle to go to lunch, if the meeting is continuing into the afternoon. Should the meeting end in the morning and the driver returns to Dover the State vehicle may NOT be used to go to a restaurant in Dover. The simple answer is never use a State vehicle for any type of travel that personally benefits the driver or passengers.

Fleet Link

No. The cost of the vanpool program is based on calculated vehicle utilization transporting State employees from their residences to their duty stations and back. There is no allowance for additional vehicle use. Use that increases the vehicle miles driven, could lead to a rate increase that would impact all other vanpool members who do not have the same access to the vehicle. Taking the vehicle at lunchtime for fuel is permitted and “de minimus” use (stopping for lunch at a location between the driver's office and the fuel site) is permitted but should be kept at a minimum. Remember, the general public is watching and does not hesitate to report perceived misuse.

No. Any vanpool may divide the total monthly rate in anyway the majority wishes. For example, some vans pay specific drivers by allowing them to ride at no charge for the responsibility of driving. Other vans give several drivers a discounted rate to split the driving responsibilities. Fleet Link requires a rooster/fee report to be submitted monthly to make any changes as the vanpool wishes. The only requirement is the total amount submitted for the vanpool must equal the total monthly rate.

Because this is a prepaid program the vanpool must report any new riders by the 15th of each month. The rider requesting to get on to a vanpool will then have their payroll deductions start the following month. Then the new rider is able to ride the first day of the next month. For example, if Fleet Link receives a new rider's name on March 15th, their first payroll deductions will occur in April, then they can actually ride the van beginning May 1st.

Any rider that wishes to be removed from a vanpool must notify their van coordinator in writing no later than the 15th of the month to have their payroll deductions stopped the next month. Because it is a prepaid program all riders are paid through the end of the month their payroll deductions stop. For example, if a rider gives their coordinator written notice they wish to get off the van by March 15th, they will have no deductions taken out in their April pay checks. However they are entitled to ride the van through April.

Fleet Link provides a Guaranteed Ride Home Program. This program provides van pool members transportation back to their vehicle in the event of illness, family illness, family emergency or unscheduled overtime. Please note that the Guaranteed Ride Home Program does not cover scheduled overtime, doctor appointments or early dismissals.

A vanpool may request a 7 passenger van or a 15 passenger van depending on the number of riders that they have. Fleet Link will make every attempt to accommodate the vanpool's request. However, if the requested van size is not available or not appropriate a different size van may be issued. The riders will be responsible for the total cost associated with the van they are actually issued.