Surplus Services Frequently Asked Questions

In Delaware it is both State and federal property no longer needed by the federal government or the state agency turning in the item.

State Surplus Property
29 Del. C., §7002 designates the Office of Management and Budget as the agency to which surplus or excess property is reported. Government Support Services assumes the responsibility of reallocating or disposing of the property once it is reported as excess.
Federal Surplus Property
The Federal Property and Administrative Service Act of 1949, as amended by Public Law 94-519, authorizes the allocation of federal surplus property to designated state agencies, which in turn distributes the property to eligible donees. The Office of Management and Budget, Government Support Services is designated state agency in the State of Delaware.

Property would include items such as: desks, file cabinets, hand tool, furniture, vehicles, hardware, computers, kitchen equipment, sports equipments, office supplies, etc.

Yes. There is a minimal handling fee associated with the reallocation of State Property.

The Surplus program is 100% self-sufficient. Services charges are necessary to cover the cost of operating this beneficial program.

Service charges are based upon the cost to handling the surplus property.

29 Del. C., §7002 restricts the reallocation of State Property to other State agencies and volunteer fire, ambulance, and rescue services for a two week period. At the end of this two week period the property may be made available to other political subdivisions, non profit organization or the general public at reasonable costs.

Federal Surplus property is available to tax supported public agencies (local governments and municipalities and non-profits, tax exempt education or public health institution or organizations.

State Agencies are also eligible for Federal Surplus property. The general public is not eligible.

Applications for eligibility must be made to Government Support Services, Surplus Property Program. Evidences of civil rights compliance; tax support or non-profit and tax exemption status; official state approval, accreditation or license to operate; and a description of the services rendered must accompany the application.

Yes. The Surplus Property Program has a want list for difficult-to-obtain and items not normally stocked in the distribution center. If you have such a need, please let us know.

State Surplus Property
Yes. If the recipient is a State Agency the property must be used in that agency's operations and added to their inventory.

Federal Surplus Property
Yes. The recipient must agree to the following restrictions:

  1. Selection must be usable and needed.
  2. Property must be put into use within 12 months after it is received and utilized for a period of 12 months; except there is a utilization period of 18 months on all property with a Government Acquisition cost of $5,000 and over, and all passenger motor vehicles regardless of Government Acquisition cost. Restriction on all air craft and vessels will be according to the terms and condition within the condition transfer document for vessels and aircraft.

The Division conducts utilization checks on all 18 month and five-year restricted Federal property during the period and conducts random utilization checks on selected items with a one-year restriction.

State Surplus Property
The State Agencies must notify Government Support Services, Surplus Property Program, in writing that the surplus item is longer needed or usable. Government Support Services will, in turn instruct the agency on the methods of disposal.
Federal Surplus Property
For property under a one-year, 18 month or five year (aircraft and vessels) restrictions, permission must be obtained from Government Support Services.
State Surplus Property
The State Agencies receiving property will be billed by an intergovernmental invoice (IV) after taking delivery of the property. State surplus property received by the public must be paid in cash when picked up.
Federal Surplus Property
The eligible institution is billed as the property is picked up. Remittance must be by institution check.

Individuals may purchase state property through the Surplus Property Program only. State property is made available to the public after first being made available to State Agencies and volunteer fire, rescue, and ambulance companies.

Open: Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.